History
A brief history of St Mary’s Kenmure.
1832
1833
In Marshall’s Lane, Gallowgate, an orphan asylum was founded by the Sisters of Mercy to ‘provide for the maintenance, education and religious instruction of destitute orphan children, left by the members of the Catholic Congregations of Glasgow’.
1848
The asylum moved to a larger nearby premises beside St Mary’s Parish Church at 72 Abercromby Street, Glasgow.
1862
The buildings also began to function as a Certified Industrial School where children were placed under detention by the Courts.
1865
79 boys and 27 girls were committed to the establishment. They lived alongside the orphans and destitute children who were cared for through voluntary contributions.
1867
A ‘Boys School’ was erected and opened on the site. It was big enough to house 250 children aged 7 – 15 who were trained in tailoring, wood-chopping, carpentry, slipper making and paper bag making. However, the location of the school – adjacent to a disused burial site – was far from ideal.
1899
A new site was identified on the Kenmure Estate in Bishopbriggs, 4 miles North-East of the city. It provided more land, fresher air and access to the countryside. Plans were made for both the Girls and Boys Schools to relocate there.
1905
The Boys School relocated to purpose built accommodation on the Kenmure Estate.
1930
The school was officially named Kenmure St Mary’s Boys School.
1933
Kenmure St Mary’s became an Approved School.
1968
Following the passing of the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968, St Mary’s became a List D School. By this time, the school had become known as St Mary’s Kenmure.
1974
The first purpose built Secure Unit was opened on site at St Mary’s Kenmure, the design of which was austere but addressed the security requirements.
1966
A secure remedy: a review of the role, availability and quality of secure accommodation for children in Scotland was published by the Scottish Office.
2000
St Mary’s Kenmure opened the first, and largest, of Scotland’s new-style secure estate in response to the recommendations of the Scottish Office.
St Mary’s, Abercrombie Street
Kenmure St Mary’s Boy’s School 1901 – 1985
1974 Secure Unit
